Homestead Exception allows tax relief for your Primary Residence. It is the reasonability of homeowner to take advantage of this privilege, it is not granted automatically. You must apply with the Tax Assessor and qualify for the exemption before it can be granted.
This is a one time process. If you bought your home before January 1st 2021. Or have never filed for Homestead then you need to apply.
Links and information below to help get you started. Check with your county website. The requirements varies by County.
To apply you will need the following
- All deeds to your property (recorded instruments only – warranty deeds or quit-claims – not the deed of trust).
- Car tag numbers for all vehicles owned by you or in your possession (non-Jackson County tags must be changed before filing).
- Social Security numbers for yourself, spouse, and any joint owners.
- Birth dates for yourself, spouse, and any joint owners.
- Purchase price of home.
- Purchase price of land, if you purchased it separately from the home.
- If you built your home yourself, we need to know the cost to build it.
- If you live in a mobile home on your property, you must bring your mobile home registration certificate.
- If you are 65 years of age or older, you need to bring proof of age, such as a driver’s license or birth certificate.
- If you are 100% disabled, you should inquire as to what you should do.
- Active duty military personnel may qualify for some benefits if you own your Mississippi residence. You should contact our office to determine eligibility.
Check with your county website below.